Tuesday, September 28, 2010

On to Veggie broth

So I finished the Chicken broth. It looks way different than the kind you make from those little cubes. It smells amazing and I cant wait to taste it in a meal! It made 7 cups and I could have added water to probably make up to 10 cups but want to try it as is, it may be too rich or just right, we will see. I will post a picture soon. I should have taken pics through the whole process but didnt think of it till I got to the freezer with the bags. I would put the bones in a bag, like cheese cloth next time to make it easy to take out next time. The recipe I used asked you to blend all the veggies when you were done and add it to the broth. Well you have to pick the bones out...um some of those chicken bones are tiny. I think one or two cheese cloth bags would do just fine to hold the bones in. Ill try it the next time I make chicken broth.
One of the chicken broth baggies


Here are the veggies before. Note my lack of counter space!
All in the pot
As for the veggie broth that has been fun. I got a little carried away with the amount I put in the pot and lucky for me as it has cooked down it has fit nicely. I used carrots, celery, onion, green onion, cabbage, and leeks. I think mushrooms would fit nice but didnt think of it till now so that ill try next time. I also used basil, thyme, bay leaves and parsley. That recipe says to drain the veggies and compost them but I am thinking of blending them like I did for the chicken broth. I will see what it looks like when I am done, I may try a small batch with the blended veggies added and one without to see what I like.

My Ulu
One other thing I used was an Ulu. It is a knife I got in Alaska. It is an amazing chopper and has saved me a lot of time. I still need to find some beef bones for the beef broth, I think Ill go ask a couple butchers tomorrow. If you have any tips for bases and broths please pass them on. After my broths are done I will make some cream of mushroom soup. I use it a lot and think that making it from scratch will help us to eat healthier. The thing I love most about these broths is that I know what is in them and know they are healthy. I think all this fresh food is going to raise our energy levels and drop the pounds. I am hoping my running will get a boost from all this healthy food!

No comments:

Post a Comment